Look what I did today

 Today was my first day working as a volunteer for the Prehistoric Museum of Price Utah, which is a part of my internship.

I helped begin the process of removing the protective jacket from a fossilized femur of a Camarasaurus (one of the long-necked Sauropod Dinosaurs).

Once it has gone through the preparation process, this fossil will be displayed at the Jurassic National Monument.

Protective jackets are used to keep a fossil intact when it is being transported from the field to a lab. They're made of burlap and plaster that is so hard it can only be removed with power tools. And the process of removing these jackets throws ups so much dust that protective masks are required.

I'll be helping the museum with this and possibly other projects every Monday throughout my internship.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SVP Part 3

What is That?

Moab Trip